“At no stage have I demoralized the victories of our Heroic soldiers of the past or the present”

"Right through my long career in the Army, spanning over three decades and over half my life, I have, together with our heroes our valiant soldier, sailor, airman, policeman and auxiliary forces fought against separatist terrorism. I continued to oppose terrorism, both within and outside the Country, in positions I have held in Uniform and otherwise."

by Maj. Gen. Janaka Perera

(May 02, Colombo, Sri Lanka Guardian) I wish to respond to a special circular issued by the Army Head quarters to all military camps and bases country wide instructing them not to allow me and Col.Jayavi Fernando (Retd) who is a much decorated soldier, to enter their premises and instructing army officers and other ranks not to have links with us and also instructing them to inform their families and those others not to support any of our activities, alleging that we have made certain comments through the media under mining the recent military victories, thus demoralizing the forces and bloating the alleged achievements of the LTTE.

I would like to state that since my retirement almost eight years ago, I have not visited any army camp, but visited an army officers mess on two occassions, despite being invited many times to attend functions, as an Ex-Senior military officer. Although my heart and soul will always remain with them.

At no stage have I demoralized the victories of our Heroic soldiers of the past or the present. To me, what is important is the supreme sacrifice made by our heroic soldier, sailor, airman, policeman and auxiliary forces and to share the pain and the suffering of the families that have to eventually bear the losses.

In all my interviews in the print and electronic media, I have highlighted this and called on all Countrymen to support our heroes and assist in caring for their families. I have also stated the importance of analyzing the strength and weaknesses of our enemy and the impact on us if we are to achieve the ultimate victory which is long awaited.

What I have stated is no different to any military analyst who bears genuine concern for our Country. I believe it is my fundamental right to express my views as I have no doubt the people of our Country are also concerned with the issue of this long drawn-out war against Terrorism, that affects their lives almost on a daily basis. They have the right to information and to views of those who have fought and experienced this kind of rabid terrorism, in order to protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our motherland, which I feel is the collective responsibility of all our people. It is based on this genuine concern that I have expressed my views which I consider to be my duty as well as my fundamental right.

Right through my long career in the Army, spanning over three decades and over half my life, I have, together with our heroes our valiant soldier, sailor, airman, policeman and auxiliary forces fought against separatist terrorism. I continued to oppose terrorism, both within and outside the Country, in positions I have held in Uniform and otherwise. As Sri Lanka's High Commissioner to Australia and as the Country’s Ambassador to Indonesia, I faced up to the attempts made by the LTTE propagandist and extremist Diaspora to discredit our country. Records will bear testimony to these facts.

Nevertheless when we were in the battle field we have seen Ministers and Senior public officials give bloated figures of success, thinking that this would give them political mileage, misleading those in authority. I sincerely hope this is not happening today, since I know, it does not encourage those who have to face the battles in the field. I am of the firm opinion that we have to win the hearts and minds of the Tamil People along with the rest of the people, through genuineness and sincerity and with respect for human dignity and right, if the war against separatist terrorism is to be won.

My intentions are therefore loud and clear and I consider the circular issued by the Army Head Quarters to be malicious and defamatory and is intended to tarnish my image Nationally and Internationally, for reasons that are only best known to the persons who are responsible for issuing the circular.

I wish to continue to uphold my fundamental right to freedom of expression in a Country that is expected to uphold such rights as per our democratic Constitution and internationally accepted norms. I also wish to continue to feel for, and want to care for the families of our valiant forces, their families and all communities who have paid the supreme sacrifice in the process of defending the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our Country.

It is with this intention I conducted Ranaviru Asiri Poojas at the historic Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi on 5 April to invoke the blessings on our heroic soldier, sailor, airman, policeman, auxiliary forces and their families and called upon all people to unite, shedding all differences to achieve a peaceful and stable Sri Lanka, free of terrorism and violence where all can live together in brotherhood and work towards a greater Nation. Working towards such an end, I consider once again, not just my inalienable right, but also my duty as a Patriotic citizen.

It is my fervent hope that those responsible for issuing this circular would concentrate their efforts on the battles that are raging in the War front and continue to encourage and protect our valiant soldiers, who are our Strength and Wealth in the tasks on hand, rather than engage themselves in negative issues in looking for enemies where none exists and which would be counterproductive. Such actions would only demoralize our valiant heroes at the battlefront, as they would feel that if this vilification could happen to two persons who have sacrificed so much for the Country, what could happen to them.

May the blessings of the Noble Triple Gem be with our heroic Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Policeman, the auxiliary forces and all the people of Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Guardian
Anonymous said...

Who is Janaka Perera or any past senior officer to visit army camps at will. During their days they fortified LTTE, and handed ammunitions for the anahilation of Sri Lankan Armed forces. There is a protocol in any Law Enforcement around the world, unless a properly invited you keep away from the chain of command. We know how Janaka Perera got his promotion during JRJ time, and his infamous visit to capture Rohana Wijeweera while he was only a commanding officer at One Plant Engineers. We know his affiliation to UNP and slandering campaign on MR government. Yet he was showered a diplomatic posting for him being a senior military officer. These military officers are a disgrace of their efforts. The retired officers should mind their own business unless they are called back for active service for specific tasks.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with anonymous,Once the person is retired get you pension andstay in a side.this is valid even to the president of the Republic.un like madame chandrika still trying to get some attention time to time. retired General can do is now go to temples churches kovils or to mosques andgive the blessings to the heros,like ordinary people doing.We thank you for your service to the country and now let the others to do the work as all you need now is a good rest and enjoy your life with your loved ones.May you have a long life.

Anonymous said...

I feel the government should get involved people like Janaka Perera who has first hand battle front experience to end the war irrespective of their political views. This is our country, we all should rally round to defeat bloody terrorism. That is what our politicians should bare in mind.